Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

This page contains answers to questions frequently addressed to the Waterford Homeowners Association Board of Directors. If there's a question that you'd like to have answered or would like to add a question that's not on the list below, send the question (along with the answer, if known) via email. Disclosure Packet

To obtain a Property Owners Association Disclosure Packet, obtain the Request Form from the property manager by following this link. 

Table of Contents

  1. What are my annual assessments and when are they due?
  2. What services do my assessments provide me?
  3. Who makes up the board of directors?
  4. Who do I contact regarding home improvements?
  5. What's the policy regarding the use of satellite dish antennas?
  6. When are trash and recycling picked up?
  7. What items can be included in the recycling pickup?
  8. What items can not be included in the trash pickup?
  9. Who do I contact regarding special trash pickups?
  10. What can I do when someone parks in my parking spot?
  11. Who do I call about commercial vehicles parked in Waterford?
  12. What's the policy regarding solicitors within Waterford?
  13. Who do I call to to report vandalism or other suspicious activity?
  14. What do I do if I lose my mailbox key or my mailbox isn't working?
  15. How do I request a property owner's association disclosure package when I am selling my home?
  16. How do Board members communicate between meetings?

1.  What are my yearly assessments and when are they due?

The Waterford Homeowners Association assessment for 2018 has been set at $1,212.

The assessment may be paid quarterly or annually:

Four Installments: Four quarterly installments of $303 each due by January 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1, 2018.

Other: Owners may choose to make a single payment of $1,212 for the year which would be due by January 1, 2018. They may also pay any number of quarters in advance as long as they are postmarked within the 30-day grace period of the earliest quarter being paid. 

Coupon Books: Coupon books containing four quarterly coupons were mailed in December to all owners to the address on file with the Association. While most HOA members receive these in the mail without incident, please contact the Property Manager at (703) 938-8761 or [email protected] if you need a replacement booklet.  Additionally, please mark the quarterly due dates on your calendar, as failure to receive the booklet is not an acceptable reason for a waiver of the late charge.

After a 30-day grace period from the due dates listed above, interest at the rate of 6% per annum is added to overdue accounts and continues to accrue until paid. After 60-days, a 5% late charge is added. 

On-line payment options: If paying by mail, please use the coupons and envelopes provided. Note that the mailing address for payments:  Waterford HOA; c/o POA Management, P. O. Box 105007, Atlanta, GA 30348-5007. Payments received at the Vienna Post Office or the Management Office cannot be processed and will be returned to sender. All other correspondence may still be sent to P.O. Box 1305, Vienna, VA 22183.

Homeowners may pay on-line via this link.  Homeowners will need to create their own user name and password and should secure it in a safe place. Recurring payments must be refreshed annually and do not automatically update if the assessments go up. 

2.  What services do my assessments provide me?

Assessments provide the following services:

  • Twice-weekly trash collection
  • Lawn care for the common areas
  • Upkeep of common areas (streets and sidewalks, tennis courts, playground areas and common area trees)
  • Snow plowing streets and parking lots
  • Street lights
  • Association administration
  • Common area liability insurance
  • Newsletters and other mailings

3.  Who makes up the Board of Directors?

The Waterford Board members are Waterford property owners who have volunteered to assist in running the Association. You are invited to contact any of the Board members if you have any questions or comments about the neighborhood. You may send email or you may leave a voice message with POA Management Associates at 703-938-8761. If you have an interest in supporting the Board by becoming a Director, please let us know. Directors are elected at the general membership meeting held in November each year.

4.  Who do I contact regarding home improvements?

If you plan on making any exterior improvements to your home such as a new or replacement shed, replacement siding, windows, doors, shutters, roofing, fencing, exterior painting, or a deck addition, you need to submit, in advance, a written request for modification to the Waterford Architectural Control Committee (ACC) for project approval.

The following information should be included in your request: a description, drawing, picture or brochure showing the changes to be made. Include color samples, dimensions, and all information needed so the Committee can "visualize" your request. Permission is required by the Covenants to ensure that the overall appearance of the community is consistent and attractive. You may reach the ACC via email or by calling POA Management Associates at 703-938-8761. A blank Application Form for Exterior Modification can be downloaded and printed from this web site.

5.  What's the policy regarding the use of satellite dish antennas?

The installation of satellite dish antennas are permissible on private property within Waterford subject to the following provisions:

The intent of the Waterford policy regarding satellite dish antennas is to permit the unimpaired reception of video programming services by homeowners within the development while at the same time minimizing the visual impact (as observed from the front sidewalk of homes) of the satellite dish itself. The Architectural Control Committee (ACC) approves applications for the installation of a satellite dish of less than one meter in diameter, but may require that it be located in a location which minimizes it's visual impact yet permits unimpaired reception. Dishes should fall into the lowest of the following categories:

  Category 1 - Back yard, below the fence line.
  Category 2 - Back roof, not visible from the front sidewalk of the subject home.
  Category 3 - Back roof, least possible visibility from front sidewalk of subject home.
  Category 4 - Attached to side of home (end units only).
  Category 5 - Front roof.
  Category 6 - Attached to front of home.
  Category 7 - Front yard.

Satellite dishes which are in poor repair or which are non-operational must be repaired or removed by the homeowner so as to maintain the architectural quality of the community. The ACC may issue notice of repair or removal to townhouse unit property owners whose satellite dishes are unsightly due to deterioration or which may no longer be functional or repairable.

6.  When are trash and recycling picked up?

The Waterford trash collection and recycling program is summarized below. 

Regular trash is collected every Tuesday and Friday (place trash in either a sealed, rodent-proof trash can, or in heavy-duty, dark colored trash bags (well secured) and leave on the front curb by 6:00 am). No white kitchen trash bags, grocery bags, paper bags or boxes are to be used.

Recycling collections are made every Friday. Clearly separate recycling items from trash items. Recycling must be put out in one of the following: the wheeled, recycling toter provided by American Disposal, clear plastic trash bags or in blue plastic recycling bags. Open bins and boxes may not be used for recycling. 

Yard waste collections are made both Tuesdays and Fridays (bagged grass clippings, bagged leaves, bundled tree trimmings, and bagged or bundled brush). 

All trash and recycling materials must be placed on the curb by 6:00 a.m. on the morning of the pick-up. 

It is a disservice to neighbors to leave trash or special pick-up items out on the curb or in front of the house on days other than the pick-up day. This also presents a potential health hazard by attracting rodents and other pests into the community.

7.  What items can be included in the recycling pickup?



  • Aluminum Cans
  • Metal Food & Beverage Cans
  • Glass Bottles & Jars
  • Cereal Boxes & Food Boxes
  • Milk & Juice Cartons
  • Plastic Bottles & Jugs #1-7 (with lids)
  • Wide-mouth Plastic Containers
  • Mixed Paper, Newspaper, Office Paper & Junk Mail (no packing paper)
  • Magazines, Phone Books & Catalogs
  • Paperback & Hardcover Books
  • Aluminum Foil & Trays
  • Empty Aerosol Cans
  • Rigid Plastics (such as buckets)
  • Cardboard Boxes & Pizza Boxes (no grease)


  • The following items CANNOT be recycled:
  • Motor Oil Containers
  • Plastic Cutlery, Forks, Knives & Spoons
  • Plastic Food Trays & Cups
  • Clam-shell containers (Styrofoam)
  • Light Bulbs
  • Glassware
  • Ceramics
  • Pots & Pans
  • Paper Plates & Napkins
  • Batteries
  • Styrofoam Cups, Plates, Bowls, To-Go Containers

Since the majority of yard waste in the community is related to the common area mowing, the following items will not be recycled but will be picked up at the curb by American Disposal if properly bagged or bundled as follows:

  • Bagged leaves
  • Bagged grass clippings
  • Hedge and tree trimmings only if individual limbs are less than 4 inches in diameter. They must be tied in small bundles or bags and may not exceed 4-feet in length.

Recycling service is provided by American Disposal Services (703) 368-0500.

8.  What items cannot be included in the trash pickup?

Paints (all types), stains, construction materials, remodeling materials, dead animals, oil, car batteries, manure, tree stumps, mulch, sod, dirt, stone, rocks, cement, bricks, poisons, dangerous acids, caustics, explosives, or other dangerous materials, items too large or heavy to be loaded into collection vehicles safely by their employees or          any other material excluded by landfills or recycling centers.  Please review Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services web-site for a listing of hazardous waste materials and the locations where these materials are accepted for drop off.


If you are not sure if an item is allowed, call American Disposal Services at 703-368-0500. 

9.  Who do I contact to schedule special trash pickups?

Waterford uses American Disposal Services (ADS) for all trash hauling. If you have a large item for the trash you will need to coordinate with ADS at (703) 368-0500 to have this item picked up as a special pickup. Certain items are included in the HOA contract at no additional charge to the homeowner. They are: packing boxes of new residents; furniture; extra yard debris; mattresses and other large household items. 

Ferrous metals/white goods such as stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, hot water tanks and other bulky metallic items will be picked up AT AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE to the homeowner. 

All special pickups (which may not exceed two cubic yards in volume) will be collected at curbside on the 2nd trash collection day by appointment only and should be called into ADS at least 24 hours in advance. Appliances containing Freon must be certified Freon-free prior to removal.

Items scheduled for special pickup may not be put out on the curb for pickup until after dusk the day before the pickup day.

10.  What can I do when someone parks in my spot?

The streets and parking areas of Waterford are privately owned by the homeowners association. Each home is assigned two reserved spaces marked with the house address. The unmarked spaces in the community are available to all members’ guests on a first-come, first-served basis. There are other restrictions and requirements so please read Policy Resolution 2007-1 for the details.  Individual owners and residents may have a vehicle towed out of their own reserved space, after a reasonable effort has been made to locate the owner. A reasonable effort will depend upon the circumstances at that time. If it is 2:00 a.m., then it would not be reasonable to knock on doors to find out who is parked in your reserved space. If it is 2:00 p.m., then it would be reasonable to knock on a few doors nearby to try and find out. Owners and residents may contact Henry's Wrecker Service at (703) 698-8900, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to request a tow.

The Association also does periodic patrols of the community to monitor visitor spaces which may not be used for parking by residents.  Enforcement is made via a warning ticket and followed up by towing without further notice. 

If you have a vehicle parked in the community and it has a missing or expired license plate, a missing or expired Virginia State inspection sticker, is a junk vehicle (defined as not in condition to be driven), or is a community safety hazard (such as impeding sidewalk access, exposed sharp edges or corners, or other problems which could result in pedestrian injury or Association insurance liability), then you will be given a warning notice on the vehicle. Generally, you will be given 10 days to correct the violations or the vehicle will be towed without further notice.

If a vehicle is parked on a fire lane, yellow curb, or is double-parked it may be towed without further notice. Henry's Wrecker Service performs periodic patrols of the community to enforce the fire lane, yellow curb and double-parking violations. If your vehicle is towed, please contact Henry's directly at (703) 698-8900.

11.  Who do I call about commercial vehicles parked in Waterford?

Commercial vehicles are not allowed to park on streets within Waterford that are maintained by by the Homeowners Association. To report violators, please call 703-938-8761.

12.  How do I obtain a parking permit to park on Tipperary Pass?

Please go to the following link for answers to your questions:  Fairfax County Residential Parking Permits

13.  What's the policy regarding solicitors within Waterford?

Solicitation is not allowed in Waterford. Signs are posted at each entrance to the community. Solicitors who disregard the posted signs are in violation of Chapters 31 and 34 of the Fairfax County Code and should be reported directly to the police. You should contact Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131. Unfortunately, newspaper solicitors are exempt under the Code. Please note that it is against the County law for anyone to solicit after 8:00 p.m.

14.  Who do I call to report vandalism or other suspicious activity?

If you witness vandalism, suspicious activity or other types of non-emergencies, please contact Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131. For emergencies, call 911.

15.  What do I do if I lose my mailbox key or my mailbox isn't working?

Master keys are not maintained for individual mailboxes.  The Oakton Post Office offers lock replacement.  Contact them directly at 703-218-0731 to make arrangements.

16.  How do I request a property owner's association disclosure package when I am selling my home?

Click this link to obtain a disclosure packet request form from POA Management Associates.  Sellers may also contact the homeowners' association property manager at (703) 938-8761 or via [email protected]  The cost of a package varies depending on form (paper or electronic) and delivery requirements. By law, the manager has 14 days to provide a package; however, sellers can request an expedited package for an additional charge. An expedited package will be available within 5 business days after receipt of a properly completed request form.

17.  How do Board members communicate between meetings?

Email communication between Board members is reasonable as long as no votes are taken, unless in the case of emergency as per the governing documents, and as long as a summary of email communications is entered into the record at the Board meeting that follows the communications.  The secretary is responsible for keeping the entire thread of such communications and making these threads available should a Board member or community member in good standing ask to see these communications.